We face confusing, changing social and business forces. It is a challenge to stay grounded. Here are some of my favorites for thoughtful consideration and coping. Are you interested in inspiration for the new year? Look at these options and enjoy.
- “Braving the Wilderness: the Quest for True belonging & Courage to Stand Alone” by Brene’ Brown. This is one of her best books and she challenges what we know and think about true belonging in communities, companies and culture. Brene’ says we are going through a crisis of disconnection, and in this book she introduces four practices of true belonging. It is the advanced discussion of authenticity she writes about in earlier books. Teach your kids these practices.
- “The Bell and the Blackbird” by David Whyte– Okay those of you that know me well realize I admire and follow the work of David Whyte.He is a poet and corporate philosopher. His other books are equally thought provoking and are heart felt. His “Crossing the Unknown Sea” is about reuniting the imagination with our day to day work. His poetry and writing helps you connect to what is important. One of my colleagues from early career life introduce me to David Whyte and it was life-changing then and remains an inspiration for the importance of finding our path or paths many times in our life.
- “Rebel Talent: Why it Pays to Break the Rules at Work and in Life”by Francesca Gino, Harvard Professor and award-winning researcher – I really appreciated the stories that illustrate a rebellious approach at work that leads to great advances. The rebel has power and isn’t simply about breaking the rules. Share this book with your team and take one chapter at a time to explore real life case studies.
- “Pivot: The only Move that Matters in Your Life is Your Next One” by Jenny Blake. If it is time to start thinking of your next move, this is the book to read. Jenny talks about the pivot and how we shift to stay agile, whether you are making a change or not. This is very practical and she shares lots of great online tools.
- The Knowledge Project Podcast by Shane Parrish(https://fs.blog/the-knowledge-project/) My favorite blog and podcast. There is a wealth of information each week and Shane gives us ideas, methods, and mental models that expand our thinking aimed at living deliberately. He hosts podcasts with fascinating people, writes articles and newsletter and you can join his community to share ideas with others. It is my go to place each week to feed my curiosity and desire for learning.
Enjoy your adventures into the New Year and be courageous. David Whyte says that courage is the measure of our “heartfelt participation with life and with another, with a community, and our work.”
I used to have trepidation about the first month of the year. As a business owner, it was always like starting over each January. Now, I have entirely reframed so that it is the time to let go of things that don’t work and reach out to accept something new. Explore what a new year means to you and often you find out what you already know and trust about your future. We wish you the best holiday season and a peaceful Happy New Year!
Published by: Sherry Benjamins in Newsletter